Monday, June 15, 2009

even i do stupid things...

last week's assignment in microbiology was to create a slide of Staphylococcus aureus, do a simple staining, and then look at it under a microscope.

i created the slide-making sure to play with as much fire as possible, without making my professor nervous-we're only supposed to use the Bunsen burners to sterilize our inoculating tools and test tubes, but when my professor's not looking i burn little pieces of paper. I'm a thrill-seeker like that.

so i created the slide, stained it, and placed it under the microscope to look at it. but the slide was blurry and very unclear. when my professor looked at it she said "It's not you, it's the microscope. they're really lousy"

as i removed my slide from the microscope, ready to throw it out, i noticed that the letters I'd written on the slide to label it, were backwards...

...yup, I'd put the slide on the stage, upside down

2 comments:

nmf #7 said...

That has happened to me more times than I can count. I first frustrate myself by checking it on several microscopes, before finally realizing my mistake. And I always blame the microscope. But, my school got new microscopes recently- high tech- so I can't blame them so much any more.

smb said...

lol very cute