Tuesday, May 26, 2009

in my family we're not big Memorial Day celebraters. we hang up the flag, and sometimes have a barbecue within 3 days of the day, but no big parties or family outings.

there is usually a ceremony at the veteran's cemetery down the street from my house, but i haven't gone in years. i think the thrill of watching decorated men shoot gun salutes, and then scrambling to look for blanks wore off a bunch of years ago. this year there was a parade of fire trucks and soldiers on Main Street, but my bed seemed like a much better place to be at 9am on a vacation morning.

but when i did drag myself out of bed, i almost had a productive day. i sat by the pool for an hour and kicked off the summer season with the first half of a big nice sunburn (i know, i should have put on suntan lotion) then i took my dad out for his birthday (he was so excited that he told everyone that it was for his birthday) and then i went boating with brother2 and got the second half of the burn (that's when it starting hurting a little)

so i did the outdoor thing, although I'm still wondering how eating hot dogs and going swimming helps commemorate soldiers who fell in battle defending the country. 

a funny thing occurred while i was attempting to make plans for the week. i was texting my friend, back and forth, but we were both busy doing other things, so it was a very disjointed and took forever. i thought to myself, "if only there was some way i can talk to her directly and not wait to receive a reply" and then it hit me-phones are used for phone calls too!

I'm mainly a texter

5 comments:

Mikeinmidwood said...

what has this world come to? come on even ET knew you can talk on a phone.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the purpose of celebrating on Memorial Day is to mark the fact that those soldiers gave up their lives in order that successive generations can enjoy a safe and free existence. Additionally, though, one should certainly use Memorial Day to reflect on the magnitude of their sacrifice.
Chag sameach

Anon613-London

Anonymous said...

or memorial dayis just another excuse for americans who want a day off from work to celebrate the begining of the summer and need an excuse. we have veterans day to remember them already. by definition, any soldier who died is a vet cuz he/shes not a soldier anymore. not that im complaining :)

Proud MO said...

Memorial day, like every other holiday, has become just a day off for most people. You take a minute to think about the soldiers, and then you forget for the rest of the day.
People BBQ because it's a day off at the beginning of summer. That's it.

Something Different said...

Oh gosh I can so relate to that...I get myself all frustrated at how choppy a conversation is...and then I realize that it's in texts and there is a better way. Especially since I got my (old) new phone, I never talk.