Monday, November 17, 2008

the worst part of going to college is not crazy classes. it's not dealing with the psycho professors or weird classmates. it's registering. it's all done online, and everyone is given an allotted time, based on...i actually have no clue what it's based on. it can't be based on the amount of credits you're taking at the present time, because I'm only taking 5 credits now i and i was given a time earlier than my friend who's taking 12. it's not alphabetically either. it's probably just done at random, or some crazy method. the bureaucracy in this school is almost as bad as Israel's. so i spend three days before registration figuring out the perfect schedule, with the professors i want, at the correct times, so i don't have to go in on Friday or Sunday, and don't have big gaps between classes. and then i log on the morning of registration to find that they've cut some classes, and added new ones and changed around the staff. there's a catalogue of classes printed at the beginning of each year, but by the second week, it's totally obsolete. so i go online to register, put in my list of classes...and one of them is already closed. so i quickly try to figure out another schedule...and in that time, two more classes close up. it's a desperate race against the clock to not be stuck with one class on Sunday morning at seven thirty, one class Tuesday night at eight pm, and one class on Friday at three.

This message was sent using the Messaging service from Verizon Wireless!

6 comments:

G6 said...

Oh my dear girl;
You are SOOOOO not getting my sympathy for your online registration difficulties.
Back in my day (when we walked to college a mile and a half uphill BOTH ways...in bare feet) we registered in PERSON, which basically means the SAME aggravation except you ran around from table to table in a huge gymnasium for the honor of finding out that classes were closed out and instead of doing your crying in the privacy of your own home, you got to lose your composure and have a breakdown in public.
{BTW, the order you register in is usually based on the number of credits you've AMASSED... seniors first b/c they need to get their classes in to finish, next freshman, b/c we don't want to traumatize them TOO much in their first year, followed by juniors, b/c they're bigger and smarter than the sophomores, who go last... capice?)

citizen of brooklyn north said...

ho, I totally remember that registration horror, g6! You PRAYED that you got in your computer card with the little circles filled in before they wrote your class on the "Closed Classes" board. It was so thrilling to be a senior and be able to register early and with ease, pitying the hysterical and pathetic freshmen...

tembow said...

okayyy... i DO NOT want to hear you complaining about online registration because however bad it may be, where i go to school, it's all in person! meaning- you've got to wait in line for signatures from each department head, plus from the bursar and the registrar (where there's ALWAYS a MASSIVE line). And maybe the dean as well, if you're overloading on credits!
in other words, i WISH we had online registration!!!!

Anonymous said...

yeah, tembow, but the advantage to that personal contact is that they might let you overload on credits...

tembow said...

that's true

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

To me you are lucky that you get to register online. Because I have TOCA I have to come down in person. But it goes fast and I always get my classes, so I'm not complaining, and I registered for the last time!

I was so excited when the schedule came up for me to pick my classes.

But now I feel for you. Actually, I remember people asking each other to hold classes for them so that they are guaranteed to have it.