Tuesday, March 11, 2008

sunrise

sunrise is my favorite time of day.

there's something quiet and beautiful about being out when there's no one around, and the birds aren't even chirping yet. you watch the sky go from dark to blue, to pinkish, and then lots of colors. and then the sun quietly slips up into the sky. sunset is allot noisier because everyone is around, and it's not as pretty because the colors are harsher. sunrise has lighter, softer colors. it's a very nice to sit with myself and think about life and everything. i find that with my busy schedule, i don't get allot of time to myself. and at night when i finally get to bed, i usually pass out the second my head hits the pillow because I'm so zonked. so sunrise gives me a good half hour or more to "get to know myself again" or sometimes i do it with a friend. the right friends understand that they don't have to say anything. we just sit together and watch the sky. i have one friend who i dragged out twenty minutes away from her bed at four thirty so she could see sunrise. she was complaining at first, but afterwards she told me she was glad i did it to her.

i don't get to see it all that often, because I've usually just fallen asleep a few hours before, but i try once a month to get up and watch it. in camp and Israel it was much easier because no one cared if i left at four thirty. but at home, I'd wake too many people up. so i have to just be happy watching it from inside, where i don't have such a good clear view.

7 comments:

Looking Forward said...

Where I live I often end up watching parts of sunrise as I walk to shul (its late here), and my window faces a pretty good one, sun comes in right through my window.

it is very nice.

no waking up at 4:30 here!

Looking Forward said...

did you know that at sunrise, if you go to a place with a really, really clear sky, a clear horizon, and pure, clean air (maybe in the ocean on a cruse, or in the mountians) you can see a "green flash" becuase the air acts like a prism and the blue and green light gets absorbed a little bit more than the red, so the red overpowers it, but also the red and blue images of the sun are, like, seperate so if you watch a sunset in those places, after the red sun sets, then you see a green sun that is setting, and then if you're in perfect conditions, you see a blue one setting just after the green one.

its called a green flash and blue flash. :)

(talk about something to share with your besheret when you find him)

frumcollegegirl said...

interesting. however i live in civilization, not in the middle of the Adirondacks, so I'll have to take your word for it.

Anonymous said...

It's a shame I don't think I've ever seen a sunrise and I'm almost 20. That's what happens if you wake up regularly when it's almost noon.

Anonymous said...

You can't see much in my area anyway there are houses and buildings everywhere and I don't have accsess to any rooftops. I'm not a morning person at all I am way more into sunsets at least I'm awake for that.

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

I remember in camp someone made me watch a sunset with her, maybe it was you? lol
But I remember a different time also in camp it was a reward to go see the sunset I think. We woke up special early sat on the grass by the lake.

I remember someone once telling me that its more pretty because of the pollution.

David_on_the_Lake said...

ahhh

I posted just this a few months back and caught so much slack from the slackers...
Here

But..I so relate...